Thursday, August 12, 2010

Singer Spotlight - Natalie Burdeny


Name: Natalie Burdeny

Voice Type: Contralto
Role:
Madame de la Haltière
Hometown:
North Vancouver
Website:
http://natalieburdeny.com/

Is this your first time performing with DD? Yes

Favourite thing about the role you are playing? Madame de la Haltière is a character role. While still able to impose beautiful singing it is a role that really allows you to create a character that is over the top and play with comedic emotions making the rehearsal process a really enjoyable journey.

What are your rituals before a performance? I have not generally been a “superstitious” singer, however I have learned over the years that there are certain things I need to do prior to a performance like ensure I am hydrated and rested.

What is your favourite opera? Carmen! This is my dream role… she is a woman who embraces life, is strong and yet vulnerable and sensuous. The duet between Carmen and Escamillo in Act IV (“Si je t’aime…) is one of my favourite musical moments.

Ever been asked to do something strange onstage? I played the Mother (a portrait that comes to life) in a production of Tales of Hoffman a number of years ago. I was preset in a black box elevated about 16 feet in the air. I had to sit in the dark for 45 minutes not uttering a sound until my entrance onto a very small platform through hundreds of plastic straps to which my
picture was projected on while I waited. It was nerve-wracking in every moment!

A lot of singers have day jobs…do you? Up until recently I worked as a computer programmer and project manager for a global technology firm.

Coffee or Tea? Coffee hands down!!! Double Americano with room for milk!

[ed note: Natalie didn't have a joke for us, so in honour of her, we offer this joke about altos...]
How many altos does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Two. One to do it, and one to ask "Isn't that a little high for you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment